Woman dies after Fridge explodes in Eldoret

A 45-year-old woman died Wednesday night in Mwanzo estate in Eldoret, Uasin Gishu County after allegedly inhaling smoke produced by a refrigerator which exploded in her house.

Reports indicate that her female neighbour tried to help after she had her distress calls.

However, she explained that she decided to call for more help after the Njoki’s door proved too hard to break, but other neighbours were not responding.

“We heard her screaming, saying: ‘Majirani nisaidieni. Tunakufa’ (please help, we are dying). When we looked through our windows, we saw black smoke emanating from her house. We proceeded to her house, and we could see her directing spotlight rays at us,.

“Since we couldn’t manage to break down her door, we knocked on other neighbours’ doors, but none opened them to us. By the time help was coming, she had already lost her life,” the neighbour disclosed.

According to reports, Njoki’s two sons, both over age 20, were also asleep in separate rooms. Luckily, they managed to escape through the windows.
Police said they are investigating Susan Njoki’s death although preliminary investigations indicated that she could have suffocated after gas from the explosion filled her house at night while she was asleep.

One of the children was admitted to the Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital (MTRH).

Confirming the incident, Eldoret West police boss Zachariah Bittok said that they have launched investigations into the incident.

The woman’s body was taken to MTRH mortuary for post-mortem examination.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *