The government will give Sh50,000 to each of the families that lost their loved ones during landslides and flash floods in Chesegon along Marakwet-Pokot border a week ago.
Rift Valley Regional Coordinator George Natembeya on Sunday said the money is to cover burial expenses.
“They will also get more donations to help rebuild their lives after the tragedy,” added Mr Natembeya.
So far 18 bodies have been found with over 20 still unaccounted for.
He ruled out resumption of the search for the missing, saying they had done their best before the operation was called off last Thursday.
They cited heavy rains and difficulties in retrieving bodies buried under boulders and mud.One body was retrieved from the mud on Thursday, two days after two others and a foetus were recovered.
However, the move to call off the search was criticised by Elgeyo Marakwet Senator Kipchumba Murkomen who accused the state of “giving up too early.”
“It is very sad that the RC has called off the search. It is very unfortunate for state to give up so fast. Even then, we have supported our local men to continue the search and they have found one body,” Murkomen said.
A multi-agency team comprising of Kenya Defense Forces (KDF), the police, Red Cross and community scouts have been combing Chesegon, Liter and Cheptulel areas in search of bodies.
Reports by local chiefs indicated that 70 families were affected by the floods in Elgeyo Marakwet and 66 families were displaced in West Pokot.